Call us now ! Send us an email Ten Mile Eastpointe United States

Back to Top

Serving the Entire Metro Detroit Area With Two Convenient Locations in Eastpointe & Clinton Township

Conservatorship and Guardianship

If you know an adult who has been incapacitated and can benefit from the care and assistance of a probate guardian, MKPLC can work with you and a  Michigan probate court to set up a guardianship. We can also help you file a petition for a conservatorship if you know a minor or an incapacitated adult who needs help managing their estate and financial affairs.
There are two kinds of guardianships. There is the guardianship of the person and the guardianship of the estate/property known as a conservatorship. Both kinds of guardianships can be permanent or temporary (limited in duration), total (all powers granted) or limited in the scope of powers granted to the guardian or conservator.
For individuals who need the help of a guardian and a conservator, a court may decide to appoint two different people to fill each role or just one person to fulfill both sets of responsibilities. Although the courts tend to consider spouses, adult children, brothers or sisters, and other blood relatives first when deciding whom to appoint as a guardian, any adult without any conflict of interest may apply to become someone's guardian or conservator. It will be up to the court, however, to make the final decision.
A guardianship of the person is a court-appointed guardian who has been authorized to make decisions for another person (called the ward). Anyone over 18 years of age who suffers from a mental deficiency, mental illness, or any other condition that makes them unable to care for themselves may become a ward in need of a guardian.
A court-appointed guardian may be authorized by the courts to decide a number of matters, such as where the ward will live and what kind of health care he or she may need. The ward will often be an adult who is incapacitated and incapable of making these decisions.
The court appoints a conservator to manage and make decisions regarding another person's property and financial affairs. Responsibilities may include any or all of the following:
•    Opening a bank account for the protected person that will allow the conservator to pay their bills and settle debts
•    Posting bond as the new conservator
•    Making a list of the protected person's assets and giving this information to the court
•    Accounting for any expenses spent by the conservator on the protected person's behalf
•    Supervising and maintaining the protected person's assets
•    Applying for medical, employment, and government benefits for the protected person
Conservatorships can be set up for both children and incapacitated adults. Entrusting your loved one or his or her estate into someone else's care is an important matter, and MKPLC can make sure that your case is handled correctly.
Legal Vault AccessPatient Medical Access