skip to Main Content

Clinton Township Personal Injury Lawyers

If you were injured in an accident due to someone else’s negligence, do not hesitate to contact Mihelich & Kavanaugh, PLC. We could represent you in a personal injury case to recover compensation for your medical treatment and other costs.

After a traumatic accident, you must suddenly put your life on hold to treat your injury. It can disrupt your routine, preventing you from going to work or participating in the activities you enjoy. The at-fault party should be held liable and compensate you for the harm they caused.

The Clinton Township personal injury lawyers of Mihelich & Kavanaugh, PLC have represented injured clients since 1951. We know effective strategies we can use to prove liability and recover the money owed to you. You will receive personalized attention and services until the end of your case.

Learn more about how we can help with your personal injury case by calling us at (586) 465-3701 for a free consultation today.

Personal Injury Cases We Can Handle

Michael P. Kavanaugh, Attorney

Director of the Criminal Law Divison of MKPLC

Top Attorney – Who’s Who

Learn more about our criminal law attorney.

At Mihelich & Kavanaugh, PLC, we represent our clients in personal injury cases involving various circumstances, including:

Reach out to us immediately if you sustained an injury in any type of accident resulting from someone else’s misconduct. We will investigate thoroughly and obtain any available evidence to hold the negligent party accountable.

Common Injuries in Personal Injury Cases

Injuries can vary depending on the type of accident. Some are minor and need minimal care to heal, while others are debilitating and require ongoing medical treatment to manage symptoms and restore normal functioning.

The most common injuries sustained in accidents include:

  • Loss of limb
  • Organ damage or failure
  • Lacerations
  • Burn injuries
  • Nerve damage
  • Internal bleeding
  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Broken bones
  • Spinal cord injury
  • Permanent disfigurement or scarring
  • Psychological trauma
  • Repetitive motion injury
  • Paralysis
  • Soft tissue injuries


You should see a doctor after an accident, even if your injury is minor. Pursuing compensation in a personal injury case requires evidence. Without medical records, proving you were hurt in the accident will be challenging.

What to Do After an Accident in Clinton Township

Taking immediate action is crucial if someone else is at fault for the accident and you want them to pay for your losses. You must follow the necessary steps to establish liability and show you are entitled to compensation for your injury.

The first thing you should do after an accident is to go to the hospital or visit your doctor after leaving the scene. They can evaluate your condition and determine your diagnosis. Follow their orders if they recommend X-rays, follow-up care, or treatment with a specialist.

It’s never a good idea to skip appointments or allow weeks or months to pass without seeking treatment. The insurance company isn’t on your side, despite what you might think. They will seek reasons to deny your claim or offer a low settlement. They might assume your injury isn’t serious and doesn’t require much compensation if there are significant gaps in treatment.

Hire a Clinton Township personal injury lawyer from Mihelich & Kavanaugh, PLC soon after your initial doctor’s appointment or hospital visit. You shouldn’t attempt to take on the insurance carrier or a defense attorney alone. Mistakes you make, such as missing a strict deadline, can negatively affect the outcome of your case. When we take on your case, you won’t have to worry about such things. We will relieve your burden by handling every aspect of your claim or lawsuit so you can focus solely on your recovery.

Being proactive is one of many essential parts of a personal injury case. You should guard against some actions that might compromise your ability to obtain the compensation you deserve. The most common mistakes you must avoid during your ongoing case include:

  • Missing doctor’s appointments – Attending every appointment is critical after an accident. You need medical evidence to prove the severity of your injury, the treatment you’re seeking is necessary, and the progress of your recovery.
  • Waiting too long to hire a lawyer – Many people file a claim themselves, thinking it’s a straightforward process. However, insurers use various tactics to trick people into admitting fault or waiving their right to pursue a lawsuit. Hiring a lawyer from the start prevents unnecessary delays and ensures your rights stay protected.
  • Talking to the insurance adjuster – Insurance companies often contact claimants to obtain information about the accident. You might say the wrong thing, and the insurance adjuster can use it against you. If the insurer calls you, inform them that you hired an attorney.
  • Admitting fault for the incident – Although you might think your actions contributed to the accident, admitting it to the insurance carrier, police officer, or other parties involved in the case isn’t beneficial. A jury can diminish your compensation under the modified comparative negligence That means they can reduce your financial award by the percentage of fault you share for the incident.
  • Posting about the accident on social media – Using social media to update your friends and family about your life is normal. However, refrain from discussing the accident online. The insurance company or defense attorney can take screenshots or print your posts and use them to prove your injury isn’t as severe as you claim.

Compensation You Can Pursue in a Personal Injury Case

You can file an insurance claim or lawsuit to seek compensation from the at-fault party for:

  • Pain and suffering
  • Hospitalization, prescriptions, and other medical expenses
  • Loss of enjoyment or quality of life
  • Emotional distress
  • Lost wages
  • Lost earning capacity
  • Property damage

Statute of Limitations in Personal Injury Cases

You must comply with state law if you want to sue someone for causing your injury in an accident. In Michigan, the statute of limitations allows a three-year timeframe to file a lawsuit against another party. That means you must initiate your lawsuit within three years of the accident date. You can lose your right to compensation if you haven’t filed suit before the timeframe passes.

Specific exceptions allow additional time to file suit in a personal injury case, such as:

  • Out of state – If the defendant leaves the state for longer than two months after the incident, but before you file your lawsuit, their absence won’t count as part of the three-year timeframe.
  • Legal disability – If you are under 18 or insane when the accident occurs, you have one year from the date you turn 18 or gain mental competency to file your personal injury lawsuit.

Frequently Asked Questions

Mihelich & Kavanaugh, PLC knows the personal injury process can be confusing. We have answered our clients’ most common questions to help you prepare for your case. You should speak with one of our Clinton Township personal injury lawyers for more information about your available options and what to expect in the legal road ahead.

What should I do if I can’t afford an attorney?

You might worry about the expense of hiring a personal injury lawyer. That’s one of the primary reasons many accident victims choose not to seek legal representation. However, you can avoid paying upfront fees or costs when you hire Mihelich & Kavanaugh, PLC. We take cases on contingency. That means we only get paid if we secure compensation for you. If we lose, you will never have to pay us.

How long do personal injury cases take?

It depends. No two cases are alike. Some settle quickly, especially if liability is clear and the insurance carrier knows they can’t win at trial. Others are more complicated and take months or years of litigation to resolve.

We understand the importance of recovering compensation as soon as possible so you can pay your medical bills and other expenses. We can’t predict your case’s timeframe, but we will work hard to try to resolve it efficiently.

What are my options if my loved one died in an accident?

You could pursue a wrongful death case if your loved one died in an accident someone else caused. However, only the personal representative of their estate can file the lawsuit. Compensation is available to surviving family members, such as:

  • Spouse and children
  • Parents, siblings, and grandparents
  • Spouse’s children
  • Anyone given property in the deceased’s will


The money recovered in a wrongful death suit might compensate for:

  • Pain and suffering your loved one endured
  • Reasonable funeral, burial, medical, and hospital expenses
  • Loss of the deceased’s care, companionship, and other intangible benefits
  • Lost financial support your relative could have contributed if they survived

Speak to a Dedicated Clinton Township Personal Injury Lawyer

Accidents are disruptive, scary, and stressful. They can lead to severe injuries requiring victims to rearrange their schedules for medical treatment and, in the case of catastrophic injuries, their lives. Handling a personal injury case is overwhelming and challenging without legal representation.

At Mihelich & Kavanaugh, PLC, we fight for clients harmed by others’ wrongdoing. You can count on us to be your advocates and aggressively pursue the justice and compensation you deserve.

Call us at (586) 465-3701 right now for your free consultation with one of our Clinton Township personal injury lawyers if you were hurt in an accident due to someone else’s negligent actions. Let us help you get on the road to recovery.

Back To Top