skip to Main Content
4 Resources Every Parent Receiving Child Support In Michigan Should Know

4 Resources Every Parent Receiving Child Support in Michigan Should Know

For divorced or single parents, nothing matters more than the well-being of your children. The good news is that if you’re a Michigan parent grappling with the ins and outs of child support, relief is within reach. Michigan’s state government offers several resources to help you manage the process and help your child live a healthy, more stable life. Today, Mihelich & Kavanaugh will break down four must-know resources so you can breathe a little easier and focus more on what matters—your family.

The Michigan Office of Child Support

As part of the state’s Department of Health and Human Services, the Michigan Office of Child Support is a comprehensive hub for parents. It’s not just about making sure child support payments come in; it’s about your overall well-being and that of your family.

Are you struggling with meal planning because money is tight? The office can guide you through food assistance programs. Need help with child care because you’re working two jobs or returning to school? They can point you in the direction of child care assistance options.

But it doesn’t stop there. The Office of Child Support can also connect you with cash assistance programs, providing temporary financial relief when you need it the most. Furthermore, we all know how crucial it is to have a stable home environment for our children. That’s why the Office of Child Support also offers resources to help you find affordable housing. It’s about laying the foundation for a stable, happy home life for you and your kids.

Your Local Prosecuting Attorney

One of the key roles of a local prosecuting attorney is to ensure child support orders are followed to the letter. If the paying parent is inconsistent or fails to make payments altogether, the prosecutor can step in. They have the authority to use various methods, such as wage garnishments and license suspensions, to ensure the court-ordered payment reaches you for the benefit of your child.

But what if you’re still in the process of proving who the child’s biological father is? The local prosecuting attorney can also help you establish paternity. This is an essential step in securing child support.

The local prosecuting attorney can also serve as a powerful advocate for you in court. From filing petitions to presenting evidence, they can use the legal system to ensure the best outcome for you and your child. You can find your local courthouse here, and they can help you find the prosecutor you need.

Michigan State Disbursement Unit

When it comes to the nuts and bolts of receiving child support payments, the Michigan State Disbursement Unit (MiSDU) is the agency that makes it all happen. When the paying parent makes a payment, it first lands in the hands of MiSDU. They then send the funds directly to you, the receiving parent. This streamlines the process and creates a detailed record of all transactions, making it easier for both parties to keep track. Furthermore, the MiSDU is the group you should talk to if a payment is late, hasn’t been received, or there’s some other technical issue. They can troubleshoot the problem and get your payments back on track.

Friend of the Court

The Friend of the Court is more than just a formal title; it’s an agency actively working for you. They monitor and review child support orders to ensure they fit your family’s needs. If you experience life changes like a new job or a move, they’re the ones to call to adjust those orders. They can also answer questions and resolve issues related to shared parenting schedules.

Need More Assistance with Child Support Payments? We Can Help

A Macomb County child support lawyer can be a valuable ally if you have questions about child support payments or need help with another legal issue. Mihelich & Kavanaugh, PLC can protect your parental rights, help you deal with a parent who is not keeping up with their payments, and more. Call (586) 776-1700 or complete our contact form for a free consultation.

Back To Top